|E-60 Federation Carrier|
|Requirements||Heavy Weapons License, Missile Weapons License, Fighter Bay License, Protective Technologies License, Capital Ships License, Capital Warships License, Naval approval|
|Energy capacity||500 units or 5 jumps|
|Total mass||2000 tons|
|Free space||150 tons|
|Cargo space||100 tons|
|Gun hard-points||Maximum of 6|
|Turret hard-points||Maximum of 4|
|Standard armament||2 Heavy Blaster Turrets, 2 Quad Light Blaster Turrets, 2 Radar Missile Launchers & 90 Ammo, 1 Federation Viper Bay & 4 Federation Vipers, 1 Anaconda Bay + 2 Federation Anacondas|
|Included outfits||Military IR Jammer, Military Radar Jammer, Thorium Reactor|
The biggest war machine in Federation space, the Federation Carrier houses squadrons of fighters and can hold its own without its formidable escort. Capable of long-range tactical power projection, the E-60 is effectively a mobile base, and is often used by admirals and commodores as a safe vantage point to gauge the ebb and flow of space battles. It mounts Heavy Blaster Turrets along its top flight deck.
- Flagship Class: The standard version shown here.
- Heavy Fighter Variant: Somewhat weaker shields; armed with 2 Heavy Blaster Turrets, 1 Thunderhead Bay & 2 Thunderheads, 2 Federation Viper Bays and 4 assorted Vipers, 2 Anaconda Bays and 2 Federation Anacondas of different types, 2 Quad Light Blaster Turrets, and 2 Hellhound Missile Launchers.
- Non-Missile Variant: Slightly slower; same defenses as Heavy Fighter Variant; armed with 4 Heavy Blaster Turrets, 2 Ion Cannons, 1 Viper Bay and 4 Vipers, and 1 Anaconda Bay and 2 Anacondas.
- Light Missile Variant: Same engines as Flagship Class; same defenses as Non-Missile Variant; armed with 2 Heavy Blaster Turrets, 2 Raven Rocket Turrets, 2 Viper Bays and 4 Vipers, 2 Anaconda Bays and 2 Anacondas, and 2 Quad Light Blaster Turrets.
- Heavy Missile Variant: Engines have nearly double the power of the previous types; shields recharge faster; armed with 2 Heavy Blaster Turrets, 2 EMP Torpedo Tubes with 20 EMP Torpedos, 1 Viper Bay and 4 Vipers, 1 Anaconda Bay and 2 Anacondas, 2 Quad Light Blaster Turrets, and 2 Hellhound Missile Launchers.
- Auroran Outfits Detected: Engines are more powerful than Flagship Class, but less so than Heavy Missile Variant; armor is thicker; armed with 2 Heavy Blaster Turrets, 2 Fusion Pulse Cannons, 3 Viper Bays and 4 assorted Vipers, 2 Anaconda Bays and 2 assorted Anacondas, and 2 Quad Light Blaster Turrets.
Among the Federation Navy there are a number of Flagships (not to be confused with the Flagship Class). These Carriers carry the most Prestigious Commanders, and are usually, but not always, stronger than the standard Carriers. They are distinguishable by the U.F.S. before the ships name.
- U.F.S. Bismarck
- U.F.S. Dauntless ("the Finest Ship in the Federation Navy")
- U.F.S. Eisenhower (stationed at Tichel)
- U.F.S. Enterprise-E
- U.F.S. Excalibur ("The most decorated ship in the Navy")
- U.F.S. Excelsior
- U.F.S. Ohio
- U.F.S. Razorback ("The newest and latest capital ship to enter Federation services", stationed at Kania)
- U.F.S. Vengeance (flagship of Captain Pratanga)
- U.F.S. Winston ("A fine ship with a worth name")
Upon capture as escorts these Flagships revert to Flagship Class with no distinction among previous namesake. Pointless in the grand scheme of capturing a unique vessel to use as an escort. Captured ship will reappear in same system a few cycles later. Disappointed with my capture as one would hope to retain the special aspects of a flagship, not even the name is kept. I have not attempted to capture as pilot vessel.
- If you have any gameplay tips, hints, or background information relevant to this topic, please post them here.
As you might expect, this ship is large and sluggish, depending primarily on turreted weapons and its fighters for defense. Also problematic is the towering command bridge, which causes its turrets to be blind at the stern. The Federation Carrier is most effective when escorted by Destroyers, to either protect the Carrier or supply heavy offense to foe capital ships. Nevertheless, these behemoths are more than a match for most threats to Federation security.
The Non-Missile Variant is notable as the only ship in the game capable of mounting eight Heavy Blaster Turrets. To do so, one must be in the Rebel string and capture a NMV. One then must sell both Quad Light Blaster Turrets and purchase four of the Rebel version of the HBT. While it has neither the highest possible damage output nor the most efficient loadout in terms of mass, the damage and rate of fire is still impressive and also has the advantage over most other high-damage set-ups by having much greater range and ability to hit within a 240° arc around the front, due to the rear blind spot. Especially when Mass Retools or, better yet, the Mass Trick is used, it'll still have plenty of room, enough to mount several fighter bays and other outfits.